Tuesday, April 13, 2010

6 Questions With...FREDERICK KIM


Here's Fredrick Kim, his story is called Bugged, with art by Antonio Bifulco.





Tiny Electric:Is this your first published work?

Fredrick Kim:My first published work was a short story set in the Star Trek Universe, published in "Strange New Worlds VII," by Pocket Books. It featured Captain Picard. But "Bugged" is my first published comics
story.

TE:What's the sentence pitch for your story?

FK:"Bugged" is about a man with a shady past who decides to commit one last crime, for all the right reasons ... but ends up damning the world through his actions.

TE:Was your story an idea you already had, or did you come up with it in class?

FK:Ermm... a bit of both, actually. When I signed up for Andy's class I thought we would be writing stories about Spider-Man or Wolverine, so when he asked us to come up with original material that first day, I didn't have anything ready to go. After thinking about it, I decided I wanted to tell a story with a noirish vibe, and I
created the protagonist as an entirely new character. The villain, however, is a character I previously came up with for a sci-fi television pilot script that I wrote.

TE:Do you hope to expand it into something longer?

FK:There's a relationship between "Bugged" and the television pilot I mentioned earlier, so, yes, I'm hoping to do more with that universe. Right now a production company in Hollywood is interested in optioning the pilot, and turning it into a series of animated webisodes. If those do well, they'd consider bringing the concept to a studio, in the hopes of getting a television series made. Nothing's set in stone yet, though, so stay tuned...

TE:Talk about your artist and the look of your story.

FK:I'm really grateful to one of our fellow classmates, Rob Anderson, for being able to find Antonio Bifulco. When the anthology was still just a vague idea we were tossing around, Rob went out and found a bunch of artists online and then posted their information for our group to peruse. When I saw Antonio's work on the web, I thought he'd be great for "Bugged" -- his art displays a level of attention to detail that really helps sell a story like mine, which is supposed to have this dark and gritty vibe.

Antonio's a real pro, and it was a genuine pleasure collaborating with him. Through his art he brought in elements to the story I hadn't previously imagined, but what he came up with fit in with what I was trying to achieve, which shows he was really thinking about how to enhance the story through the art. I'm extremely pleased with the way everything turned out -- the end result (including the lettering and logo by Dave Sharpe) just went beyond my expectations.

TE:What comics have you been reading lately?

FK:Recently I finished The Rocketeer: The Complete Adventures, which is just amazing to look at. Also, I've been on a DC kick for the past several months, because as a Marvel fan since childhood, I haven't been that familiar with the DC Universe, beyond Batman. So I've been going through Crisis On Infinite Earths, The Sinestro Corps War, Infinite Crisis, and of course Blackest Night, and now I'm finally starting to feel like I have a sense of what the DCU is all about. On there commendations of friends I've started reading the trades for Invincible, which I'm really enjoying, and right at this moment I'm into the first volume of DMZ.



You can check out Fredrick's website here.

No comments: